Read data with multiple header rows into R Alison
This is not really to my liking because the usage is not flexible.,Like my original function or Michael Moffat ' s method - one should be able to either supply the column name or column number.... Our first step is to put the data in the tidy format, to do that we use tidyr’s functions gather() and separate(). Following Wickham’s tidy data definition, this data frame is not tidy because some variable values are in the column names.
gather Gather columns into key-value pairs. in tidyr
gather() repeats each of the former column names (as well as each of the original columns) to maintain each combination of values that appeared in the original data set. gather() uses the first string that you supplied as the name of the new “key” column, and it uses the second string as the name of the new value column.... If non-NULL, the names of unnested data frame columns will combine the name of the original list-col with the names from nested data frame, separated by .sep. .preserve Optionally, list-columns to preserve in the output.
Easily Tidy Data with 'spread()' and 'gather()' Functions
Renaming columns with R base functions To rename the column Sepal.Length to sepal_length, the procedure is as follow: Get column names using the function names () or colnames ()... Rules for selection. Arguments for selecting columns are passed to tidyselect::vars_select() and are treated specially. Unlike other verbs, selecting functions make a strict distinction between data expressions and context expressions.
R rbind function examples- EndMemo
Strings giving names of key and value columns to create. gather_cols. Character vector giving column names to be gathered into pair of key-value columns. na.rm. If TRUE, will remove rows from output where the value column in NA. factor_key. If FALSE, the default, the key values will be stored as a character vector. If TRUE, will be stored as a factor, which preserves the original ordering of... If FALSE, will keep factor levels that don't appear in the data, filling in missing combinations with fill. sep If NULL , the column names will be taken from the values of key variable.
Gather Function R How To Keep Column Names
Introducing tidyr RStudio Blog
- r Gather multiple sets of columns - Stack Overflow
- Package â€˜tidyrâ€™ The Comprehensive R Archive Network
- deprecated-se function R Documentation
- Data manipulation with tidyr R-bloggers
Gather Function R How To Keep Column Names
The apply() function returns a vector with the maximum for each column and conveniently uses the column names as names for this vector as well. If R doesn’t find names for the dimension over which apply() runs, it returns an unnamed object instead.
- Often times, the column names across data frames will differ, so we need to explicitly tell R which columns to merge by. In the example above, if life_expectancy’s country column was named “cntr_nm” and sanitation’s column was named “country.name”, we would use the following merge() :
- The problem I often have is that the header row has column names that I want to keep, but I’d like to skip the second row (or more), which has some junk in it. Usually this row is some kind of data dictionary inserted between the row of column names and the actual data.
- Strings giving names of key and value columns to create. gather_cols. Character vector giving column names to be gathered into pair of key-value columns. na.rm. If TRUE, will remove rows from output where the value column in NA. factor_key. If FALSE, the default, the key values will be stored as a character vector. If TRUE, will be stored as a factor, which preserves the original ordering of
- If FALSE, will keep factor levels that don't appear in the data, filling in missing combinations with fill. sep If NULL , the column names will be taken from the values of key variable.
You can find us here:
- Australian Capital Territory: O'Connor ACT, Holder ACT, Emu Ridge ACT, Springrange ACT, Duffy ACT, ACT Australia 2688
- New South Wales: Woodberry NSW, Wetherill Park NSW, Tocumwal NSW, Stony Creek NSW, Bilambil NSW, NSW Australia 2094
- Northern Territory: Tiwi Islands NT, Durack NT, Lansdowne NT, Marlow Lagoon NT, Yarralin NT, Pinelands NT, NT Australia 0851
- Queensland: Hillcrest QLD, Wights Mountain QLD, Miriam Vale QLD, South Kolan QLD, QLD Australia 4091
- South Australia: Woodville South SA, Myponga Beach SA, Beaumont SA, Hayborough SA, Paralowie SA, Moana SA, SA Australia 5033
- Tasmania: Thirlstane TAS, Prospect TAS, Perth TAS, TAS Australia 7069
- Victoria: Eastwood VIC, Canadian VIC, Murraydale VIC, Springvale VIC, Winlaton VIC, VIC Australia 3009
- Western Australia: Crossman WA, Piawaning WA, Broome WA, WA Australia 6086
- British Columbia: Armstrong BC, Merritt BC, Zeballos BC, View Royal BC, Harrison Hot Springs BC, BC Canada, V8W 4W5
- Yukon: Dalton Post YT, Mason Landing YT, Ogilvie YT, Little Teslin Lake YT, Canyon YT, YT Canada, Y1A 3C7
- Alberta: Hythe AB, Stony Plain AB, Bon Accord AB, Magrath AB, Chipman AB, Daysland AB, AB Canada, T5K 6J8
- Northwest Territories: Tulita NT, Kakisa NT, Colville Lake NT, Gameti NT, NT Canada, X1A 5L9
- Saskatchewan: Weekes SK, Cudworth SK, Raymore SK, Brock SK, Englefeld SK, Dilke SK, SK Canada, S4P 5C1
- Manitoba: Morris MB, Virden MB, Ethelbert MB, MB Canada, R3B 7P8
- Quebec: Metabetchouanâ€“Lac-a-la-Croix QC, Notre-Dame-de-l'Ile-Perrot QC, L'Ile-Perrot QC, Dorval QC, Portage-du-Fort QC, QC Canada, H2Y 7W8
- New Brunswick: Grande-Anse NB, Lac Baker NB, Nigadoo NB, NB Canada, E3B 9H8
- Nova Scotia: Trenton NS, North Sydney NS, Hantsport NS, NS Canada, B3J 6S5
- Prince Edward Island: Lot 11 and Area PE, North Wiltshire PE, Borden-Carleton PE, PE Canada, C1A 6N6
- Newfoundland and Labrador: Isle aux Morts NL, Goose Cove East NL, South Brook NL, Makkovik NL, NL Canada, A1B 3J9
- Ontario: Orangeville ON, Wanup ON, Franz ON, Whitchurchâ€“Stouffville, Hallowell ON, Burton ON, Essex ON, ON Canada, M7A 8L2
- Nunavut: Cape Dorset NU, Resolute NU, NU Canada, X0A 3H4
- England: Sittingbourne ENG, Walsall ENG, Rochester ENG, Bracknell ENG, Rotherham ENG, ENG United Kingdom W1U 6A2
- Northern Ireland: Derry (Londonderry) NIR, Craigavon (incl. Lurgan, Portadown) NIR, Bangor NIR, Craigavon (incl. Lurgan, Portadown) NIR, Bangor NIR, NIR United Kingdom BT2 3H9
- Scotland: Glasgow SCO, Edinburgh SCO, Dundee SCO, Kirkcaldy SCO, Hamilton SCO, SCO United Kingdom EH10 4B6
- Wales: Wrexham WAL, Wrexham WAL, Swansea WAL, Wrexham WAL, Cardiff WAL, WAL United Kingdom CF24 2D1